Friday, August 30, 2013

Excerpt from the Sergeant's Diary

Morning 14 February 1943

Personal Diary of SGT Lee Lewis

We arrived back in the Company area about 0500 hours with the captured Kublewagen driven by CPL Meister sandwiched in between the two jeeps. Greeley had taken the opportunity to search through the German killed, and retained the Nazi officers P38 pistol and holster with two magazines of ammunition. He also found 12 Deutschmarks.

The moment we arrived back in camp in the captured Kublewagen the S2 guys swooped down on us. They immediately took the four German rifles, belt-fed machine gun, and submachine gun from us. They also went through the German killed and took all the books and papers, as well as the map from the map case and all the other contents. Greeley kept the P-38 pistol out-of-sight and held onto that, and I got the empty black leather map case. One of the S2 Lieutenants said something to Meister about where to take the captured Kublewagen, and Meister drove off without even getting out of the drivers seat, and PVT Dubois went with him.

I briefed the S2 guys on what we had seen and how we had captured the vehicle, and they were in a state of high animation. They kept saying over and over that there should not have been Germans in that area, and how could they have gotten there. They said the German officer was a Lieutenant and part of a German armor recon outfit. That's what the pink around the epaulette with a diamond meant. LT Snyderwine showed up, and told me I should get over to the Battalion aid station immediately and get my wound properly attended to, and afterwards I could give him my report. I turned the squad over to PVT Greeley and headed over to the aid station. The doctor at the aid station looked at my wound and remarked he was surprised I could come in under my own power. He proceeded to treat my wound and I felt much better after being treated. It would be awhile before I would be back to my normal capacity though.

I wanted to rest pretty badly, but needed to brief LT Snyderwine first, and make sure the squad was taken care of. I briefed LT Snyderwine on our recent mission and then went to look for CPL Gus Meister. He was in getting treated for his wounds at the Bn aid station. Gus told me he had left PVT Dubois working on the Kublewagen putting it in “tip-top” shape, and making a couple modifications. I asked Meister what the point of that was, and he told me that he had made a “deal” with the guys at the ammo supply point that they would keep the Kublewagen “under wraps” for us to be able to use when we could get away with it. I don't how that is going to work out, but the way I felt with my wound I would take any opportunity I could to ride instead of walk. Meister talked about repainting the Kublewagen olive green and putting U.S. Marking on it, but I said “no”. We could just put an American flag on a whip antennae when it came time to use it.

I went to get the squad together, and we were having breakfast when LT Snyderwine found us. I tried to pretend not to see him, but he walked right up to me and started in with another mission for us and said we had to get moving as soon as we could get our gear together.

I was both glad and suspicious when Snyderwine said we were going to a “quiet place” where Gus and I could recover from our wounds while still serving the needs of the platoon.
LT Snyderwine said we were to take the two jeeps and occupy and hold a small town to the South on our supply route called Bir Al Halfa. He said there were no Germans there, and it was a “quiet place”. One of the squad members pointed out that there weren't supposed to be any Germans on our last patrol either, and got a glare from Snyderwine.
Snyderwine said we could take the two jeeps to carry the squad, and were to move out as soon as we could. He didn't say how long we should hold the town, but that he would relieve us when he could. He said since it was right on our supply route about 20 miles away it would be no problem for us to find it, and he was certain there were no Germans there, but they could possibly show up like they did at the airstrip, and we needed to be prepared to hold the town. At only 20 miles away that would mean hot maremited chow brought in regular with the supply convoys, and we would be away from the Company area with all its details. It suited us, especially Gus and I if we could get a few days easy duty resting.

Snyderwine asked us what I thought we needed for equipment. Gus gave me a wink, and proceeded double teaming Lieutenant Snyderwine to get what we wanted. Because we had only a squad to secure a town of several hundred local inhabitants with a main route going through it, I was able to get a .30 cal, AND a .50 cal machine gun, mounted one each on the jeeps. A bazooka (because we had encountered a panzer officer, they could not say no to that), and 36 rockets. Crowenshield somehow convinced the LT that we needed a jeep radio and a 292 antennae (something to do with increasing the range). I got extra hand grenades, smoke, and illumination grenades, as well as trip flares. Meister was able to get an extra sound phone, and camouflage netting. In exasperation Snyderwine gave in. However, he draw the line when I asked for a mortar. I was plenty satisfied with what we got nonetheless.

I told the squad to draw all the gear and assemble every last item the squad had to bring with us. This included our duffles, weapons, everything. Snyderwine was anxious for us to move out, and I figured the sooner we did, the sooner I could get to a quiet spot to rest.

Not knowing how long we would be out there, I made sure we got 12 jerry cans of gas, and 12 jerry cans of drinking water. I don't trust the local wells, and one never knows how much water will be in them anyway. I also secured six rolls of concertina wire, and six spools of barbed wire, some metal pickets, two spools of trip wire, and a case of trip flares. I made sure every squad member had their standard two days worth of rations, two full canteens, and standard ammunition load. I took the opportunity to get four more waist belts loaded with BAR magazines and ammunition (for Meister), and designated Karas to carry one of them, and put the rest in the lead jeep with Gus. I got ten 250 round cans of belted .30 cal ammo for the belt fed Browning as a consolation when they only had two 100 round cans of .50 cal ammo for me.

It was a good thing I did to, because when it came time to move out, Dubois showed up with the Kublewagen, and it had a .30 cal pintle installed on it. As it turned out Dubois and Crowenshield had done some trading, and gotten another .30 cal Browning, and a pintle installed on the Kublewagen. I told them to keep that second .30 cal out of sight under canvas until we got out of camp. Gus and I insured the load was spread between the three vehicles. Each of the vehicles had two strands of concertina strapped on the outside, with one cammoflage net bundled and strapped on the hood, and one jerry can filled with gas mounted on the chassis. Half the jerry cans in each vehicle were filled with gasoline and the others, marked with a white “X”, were filled with drinking water. Meister drove the lead jeep with the .50 cal mounted, with Karas in the passenger seat with the Thompson, and spare BAR belts. The back had eight jerry cans, a case of hand grenades, 12 bazooka rockets, some smoke grenades, and duffles. PVT Dubois drove the Kublewagen in the middle, flying the American flag on a whip antennae and his 03 rifle in a leather scabbard strapped to the side. I was in the passenger seat with a .30 cal browning and one can of ammo under canvas at my feet, and my M1 rifle in my arms. Crowenshield was in back working the spare radio we had gotten, with the bazooka laying beside him, four .30 cal ammo cans with belted ammo, one can of M1 ammo in clips, four jerry cans, 12 bazooka rockets, barbed wire, rifle grenades for Dubois, and some duffles. The rear jeep was driven by PVT McKee with his M1 rifle in a scabbard, PVT Greeley in the passenger seat with his M1 rifle. The other .30 cal browning was mounted on the pintle with a can of ammo. In back were four more cans of belted .30 cal ammo, two cans of M1 ammo in rifle clips, 12 bazooka rockets, two spools barbed wire, some illumination grenades, a case of trip flares, and the remaining duffles. We never could have managed the load without the captured Kublewagen. As it was we must have made a strange sight pulling out of camp. As long as Snyderwine or the First Sergeant didn't see us, we would be OK.

We headed down to Bir Al Halfa, passing a U.S. supply convoy of trucks enroute. We got a few stares and some verbal razzing for the Kublewagen as we passed, which disturbed my dozing, and I gave the buzzards a gesture when they did. I was in an irritable mood.

We arrived at Bir Al Halfa and Gus never slowed down and led us right through town, off to the left, and up a hill about a mile outside town which had a commanding view of the entire area. Crowenshield said we were at least 250 feet up, and it would be ideal for radio communication. There was a small shack up on the hill, and I had to admit, it made a great observation post. We could see anything approaching for 20 miles as long as the weather was clear.

Crowenshield set up the 292 antennae, and proceeded to make radio contact. Meister took the rest of the squad back down to Bir Al Halfa to establish defensive positions, camouflage the vehicles, pick out positions for barriers, and determine escape routes. Karas talked to the locals in French and learned that our forces, with tanks had come through here recently, and that our supply convoys to command group “C” came through regularly. In fact, the convoy we had passed soon came rumbling through. McKee devised plans and positions for emplacing explosive in key avenues of approach.

It was about 9:30 AM when we started to see signs of trouble. First it was loss of contact with command group C, then Crowenshield changed the crystals in the radio and picked up a German signal which Meister was able to translate into meaning the Germans were moving on an objective. We heard more and more radio chatter, then German planes to our North, back in the vicinity of our Company area, then the sound of straffing. Crowenshield was able to get a message back to headquarters, and we were ordered to: “Do what we could, and not let the Krauts triangulate on our radio”.

We saw approaching enemy forces from the Southeast. Enemy planes passed over our position, and we remained concealed. As the enemy ground troops got closer, my hopes that they would be a light recon element were dashed. This was an overrun attack with armor spread out across a wide front. We could not hope to prevail in a fight, nor even to slow them down with our meager squad.

Karas found out from the local elder that there were people in the town who would not give us up if we hid. I sent Meister and the rest of the squad, less Crowenshield and I into the town with orders to find a good place to hole-up and avoid being detected by the oncoming Germans. I emphasized that we needed to lie low, and let them pass us by. I figured after the forward assault troops rolled through we would stand a better chance against the follow-on elements. Hopefully we would be able avoid capture, and be able to rejoin the main part of our American forces later. Our first duty was to stay alive. I recalled our last radioed orders were, “Do what you can”.

Crowenshield took down the antennae, and he and I hid in the shack on top of the hill. The rest of the squad hid in the town itself, with the aid of the locals not pointing them out. When the Germans rolled through, we counted more than 40 tanks, plus other support vehicles. They never slowed down, and just continued in the direction we had come from just a few hours before. Crowenshield did his best to get a signal out to headquarters as to what we had seen, but the radio was so jammed with chatter, he doubted anybody could have distinguished his signal from all the others.

When the Germans had passed, we emerged from our respective hiding places. It was obvious to us all that we were cut-off, without support, and Behind Enemy Lines.

-SGT Lewis 14 FEB 1943, near Bir Al Halfa


No comments:

Post a Comment